Friday, May 11, 2018

Flipping Old Cars


We fixed and flipped a few cars while retiring in Florida. I said "we", but my wife doesn't work on cars. And I was hardly "retired", managing distribution of invented products. The car flips offered a diversion.  But - certainly each required fixing, patience and someone's love of messing with old cars.
 
 1. The red 1979 MGB needed a new exhaust, seat frames and dash work   It was sold to a retired mortician in Chicago. The married couple flew to Florida and drove the car home as a fun filled, five day motor trip. I mailed him an official MGB hat.
2. This is a 1970 British racing green Jaguar XKE 2+2. I fixed the AC and did engine, brakes and upholstery repair.  It shipped to a doctor in California. His mechanic actually called to praise my work. I was shocked...and pleased.  
                                     

3. This is a 1969 Burgandy colored Jaguar XKE 2+2 required extra TLC before it sold to a man in New York City.  I installed a complete A/C system and faulty wiring. I hated shipping it to that nasty climate (my home state). 
4. This 1980 MGB is the star of "MGB Videos.blogspot.com".  I kept it for 5 years and did a ton of work, including a complete A/C installation. It was sold and shipped to a man in England. It's the truth!
                                      

5. This 1996 Jaguar XJS convertible required electrical switches, upholstery, and waterproofing of the top. We had it for only 3 months (no plates)...and drove it less that 20 miles (off road). A man flew in with cash (all 20 dollar bills) and shipped it home to Germany. I had to count the bills three times!
6. This 1997 Jaguar XK8 convertible was sold to a couple who flew in  from Maine... to drive it home...in December (Nice here, but cold there). They bought new tires, and checked the engine and heater for the trip.  A good idea!

Yes, each car sold for profit beyond  our expenses of all purchased parts. My wage? Let's call it a labor of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment